Fountains of Wayne Memories/Shows

Misc. commentary regarding Fountains of Wayne as collected on the blog Little Squaw. I talk about them a lot. In all fairness, Gilly should have his own blog as well.

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

UGH UGH UGH...my nose is so red and so stuffy I could cry. I spent half the day gaping like a guppy. Literally being a "mouth breather" an insult to say the least. I stayed in my office for much of the day, blowing my nose and then sanitizing my hands. I don't want to be accused of giving anyone a cold. And they will accuse. Trust me. Everyone in the office is sniffling and coughing. It's like a big germ factory. I can't get out of there soon enough for the holiday.
 
The ride home on the bus started off very rockily...is that a word? First I sit in my seat (left side next to the window)...then a guy sits in front of me and puts his seat waaaaay back and pins me in. So I move to another seat and a couple of rows back. I slightly tilt my seat and it won't move. The guy behind me is holding it up with his knees! So I move again and I sit on an aisle. Immediately the a guy sits down and cranks back his seat. I couldn't help it I let out a HUGE sigh. I didn't have it in me to move again. Then I had to ration my tissues carefully to make it all the way home without an incident which is a lovely image I am sure.
 
I took the back way home from the park and ride not only because it avoids traffic at a light, but it also affords me the opportunity to drive by lots of houses and check out the lights. And that is a prime example of the duality of my personality. Everything which provides pleasure should also be productive and vice versa. God bless all those people who decorate their houses with colored lights. If you can't have colored lights at Christmas then when can you? White light should only be used for outlining deer/animals and simulating snow. Harumph. I am an old fashioned girl to say the least when it comes to somethings. Gilly is really unimpressed with all the inflated holiday decorations we're seeing on front lawns, such as snowmen, Santa, and Homer Simpson, etc...I am a bit partial to the polar bear holding the baby polar bear aahhhhh. But Gill insists that next year we're going old school with big old fashioned three feet tall light up candles flanking the front door.
 
A couple of rants. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM POTTERY BARN OVER THE PHONE OR ONLINE! If you value your sanity that is. Here's the story (the story of my life as it is)...we needed Christmas stockings. We finally have our own mantle and we need stocking to hang by the chimney with care. So I figure now is the time get the stockings we always wanted. We both have older brothers. Bigger older brothers. First born older brothers. So they always had bigger and better. Bigger stockings. Bigger Easter baskets. Bigger bikes. You get the picture. Well the way I look at it, now is the time for us to live large in a big way. And I think Christmas stockings are a good place to start. So I order us customized stockings from Pottery Barn. Classic and cute, Gill's being red velvet with a green cuff and his name on it. Edgar and Freddy get little red booties with green cuffs (literally they look like Elf booties!) with their names on them. And me being me I order a red stocking that says, "I've been very very very good" on one side and "I've been very very very naughty" on the other side plus with my name on the green cuff on the good side. I figure this opens the door for all sorts of hijinks in the future. I.E. Gilly turning the stocking around to say naughty etc...Plus Gilly says I always have to be different so of course my stocking would be different. I also tend to believe that I always get the last word so that stocking says it all. Plus we ordered stocking holders which spell out NOEL. That lends it's self to Gilly's brother's habit of turning NOEL into LEON. Like he does with some of the decorations that they grew up with. Anyway, I order well in advance of the holiday. The box arrives no NOEL and all the stocking are right except mine doesn't have my name on it. Yup. That's the story of my life. Always plans the party and wraps the gifts yet goes home empty handed. It's my lot in life. I also have very shiny hair and a cute husband. My lot could be a hell of a lot worse. So two irate phone calls later they tell me NOEL will be here ASAP and the new stocking will be here the 22nd! 22nd! That's what I get for ordering early huh? So then we get an online survey regarding our service and I tell them that I will never order from them again because I don't feel that they expedited the service to our satisfaction. So yesterday we get a voicemail with something about the order being complete and they're sending us a $50 gift card to make it up to us. Complete? And me with out a stocking? I think not. So I call today and tell me that there is no mention of a new stocking. Then I ask for a supervisor. Then the supervisor tells me, "Ohhhh, that order was never submitted. I'll do that now you'll have it on the 24th." And they are going to credit us the cost. YEAH RIGHT. I'll believe it when I see it. Again, I will not order from them again. Though I am hoping that they send us that gift card. I know, I know, but come on I've spent a lot of time on the phone with these people.
 
And last but not least...and here's where my geeky science fiction, fantasy self comes out...I do not believe that Frodo and Sam Wise are gay. Have you heard this? Apparently it's the latest theory. Don't even get me started on the Harry Potter is gay theory...but anyway...Frodo and Sam Wise are not gay. Hobbits have little or no sexual characteristics if you ask me. They are pretty much asexual. Sam and Frodo's relationship is just a strong example of loyalty and innocence. HARRUMPH...In the same review which floated this theory in front of my eyes, the guy was talking about all the plot flaws in the film. But the film is pretty much sticking to the actual novel and he's all sort of conflicted because he claims to be a fan of the "book" yes book it was on book that the publisher split into three novels...anyway...how can a fan of the book claim that these films diverge from it? He's ranting all about Tree Beard and battles etc...but they are all in the damn book. Some people can't leave well enough alone. Why must people take it upon themselves to hate/ruin everything that other people like, just because it's popular with the masses? It's just like those poor poor boy bands. Who cares if they are pure cotton candy fluff. Would you rather the pre-teen set sit in the basement shooting up? Let them admire boys with funny hair cuts and a yen for synthetic material as long they like. They'll grow out of it and if they don't who cares? Who really cares? If I had a nickel for every time someone said, "WHO?" or "WHY?" when they asked me who my favorite band was. That is since 1996 and pre-"Stacy's Mom." Now they just say, "Oh yeah, I love that song!" And they think that they are a new band. GRRR. That's hardly the best Fountains of Wayne song, but I'd rather them have fans that are dope and be successful then have them grow tired, poor and stop making music.
 
Okay I'm done.
 
Time to get ready for bed and watch "Rich Girls." Is there something wrong with that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home